Cumbrian Savings Bank
Carlisle Savings Bank was founded in 1818. The town’s textile industry had expanded greatly during the early part of the Industrial Revolution. This had resulted in great wealth for some, but poverty and squalor for others. A series of public meetings called for the establishment of a savings bank; the aim was to help the poor to help themselves, by encouraging them to save. The setting up of the Bank was financed by its 12 trustees and a committee of 80 local residents.
The people of Carlisle responded enthusiastically to the new bank. By the end of its first year, more than 300 accounts had been opened and deposits of almost £4,500 taken. In 1839, as business grew further, the Bank moved from its rooms in the Town Hall to purpose-built premises in Fisher Street. It continued to operate from this one building for the rest of the century.
The Savings Bank Act of 1904 allowed individual savings banks to amalgamate with one another for the first time. Carlisle took full advantage of this new legislation; over the next decade, it absorbed nine other banks. These were scattered throughout Cumberland and Westmorland. As a consequence, it changed its name to the Carlisle & North-Western Counties Savings Bank.
A Larger TSB Group
In 1971, the name was changed again, to the Cumbrian Trustee Savings Bank. However, this title would not survive long. The TSB Act of 1976, and subsequent re-organisation, meant that the Bank was subsumed into the new regional structure of TSB. It became part of TSB of Lancashire & Cumbria.