Birmingham Midshires was formed in June 1986, with the amalgamation of the Birmingham & Bridgwater and the Midshires Building Societies.
Both had roots dating back to the mid-19th century, and covered a wide geographical area. They were themselves the result of the cumulative mergers of some 50 building societies. Predominantly based in the west of England and Wales, these included the Freehold Land Society (established 1847); Coventry and Warwickshire (1848); Wolverhampton Freeholders Permanent (1849); Mercia (1851); Patriotic (1855); Bridgwater Permanent (1856); West of England and South Wales (1866); Liverpool Investment (1877); Swansea, Albion & Gower (1887); and East Birmingham Perfect Thrift (1889).
Harrow Building Society advertisement, 1940.
Birmingham Midshires headquarters, Wolverhampton.
|In 1999, Birmingham Midshires agreed to be taken over by the Royal Bank of Scotland. However, this deal collapsed when the Halifax made a more competitive bid for the business. This offer was accepted, and in April that year the Society joined the Halifax, demutualising in the process.|
Throughout subsequent restructures and mergers, the company has retained its head office in Wolverhampton, and its own distinctive brand. In 2001, it became part of HBOS plc Retail Division, with the merger of Halifax and Bank of Scotland.
Then in January 2009, following the acquisition of HBOS by Lloyds TSB, Birmingham Midshires became part of Lloyds Banking Group.
Return to the Halifax family tree.