The responsibilities of the Chairman include:
• leadership of the Board;
• promoting the highest standards of corporate governance;
• lead the development of the Company’s culture by the Board as a whole;
• building an effective and complementary Board and, in conjunction with the Nomination & Governance Committee, leading Board succession planning;
• leading and, with the assistance of the Company Secretary, attending to the identification and provision of induction, training and development needs for Directors and the Board generally;
• setting the Board’s agenda;
• encouraging open dialogue between Directors and to this end, he meets regularly with the Non-Executive Directors in the absence of Executive Directors in private sessions; and
• ensuring effective communication with shareholders.
A summary of the key roles and responsibilities of Board members can be found in the Annual Report and Accounts.