Artists at Lloyds
This adorable sketch is from a collection of drawings found amongst the records of Capital & Counties bank. A joint-stock bank formed in 1877 through the merger of the Hampshire Banking Co. (est. 1834) and the North Wilts Banking Co. (est. 1835), Capital & Counties merged with Lloyds Bank in 1918.
The drawings, mainly cartoons and caricatures of other members of staff, date from 1899 to 1910. They were found in a folder which belonged to a director of Capital & Counties, but are believed to be the work of a member of staff, Mr J. Bisset. Bisset joined the bank in 1878 and worked at its 39 Threadneedle Street branch.
Lloyds still has a branch at this address today. Opened by the Hampshire Banking Co. in 1876, it was built on the site of the church of St Martin Outwich which had been demolished two years earlier.
Return to From the collections to take a look at our other featured items.