Consumer sentiment stays at highest level for over two years
24 June 2013
Read full press release
- Our index of consumer sentiment down by just one point in May at 108 from its peak in April.
- Improving sentiment is driven by growing confidence in the current economic situation.
- Growth in spending on essential items is broadly in line with wider inflation at around 2%, reducing the squeeze on consumers.
- However, energy bills are rising again and 79% cite gas and electricity prices are their biggest concern.
- Pressures appear to be greatest on middle to older age groups under retirement age.