About the plan
Addressing some of the social, economic and environmental challenges facing the UK is the foundation of our Helping Britain Prosper Plan.
The Plan takes us beyond business as usual, uniting the Group behind an inspiring set of objectives. Launched in 2014 and reviewed annually, the Plan focuses on the areas where we believe we can make the biggest difference.
We serve more than 26 million customers and over a million businesses, but we want to go beyond business as usual and help address the social, economic and environmental issues that matter most to Britain – environmental sustainability, finding a home, saving for later life, supporting businesses, building digital skills, championing diversity, tackling social disadvantage.
In 2019 we achieved 20 of our 22 targets, including:
- Lending over £13 billion to first time buyers
- Providing digital skills training to more than 730,000 individuals, SMEs and charities
- Supporting more than 2,900 charities through the Group's independent charitable Foundations
- Championing Britain’s diversity with 10.2% of Group roles held by Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic colleagues and 36.8% of senior roles held by women
- And since 2018, supported business growth by investing over £2.6bn in the UK manufacturing sector, helping more than 230,000 new businesses start up and funding over 17m sq. ft. of commercial real estate space to become more energy efficient
"We embrace our economic, social and environmental responsibilities to Help Britain Prosper by operating as a responsible, sustainable and inclusive Group."
Sara Weller, Independent Director and Chairman of the Responsible Business Committee