As the days get shorter homeowners are reminded of the importance of locking up their houses.
With people spending more time at home this summer, Lloyds Bank Home insurance had a 51% decrease in burglary claims between March-August compared to the same period last year.
The reduction was the greatest in April when claims fell by 72% compared to April 2019.
However, the darker nights can provide the perfect cover for a burglar to break in.
Tim Downes, Senior Claims Manager, Lloyds Bank Home Insurance, said: “With the long, light days of summer many of us may have fallen out of daily habits like checking windows and doors are locked at night and before going out.
“However, as the clocks change and the nights draw in, unlocked windows and doors can provide the perfect opportunity for a burglar to come in.
“Even if you’re just nipping to the shops it’s easy for a robber to take advantage of the cover of darkness or an open window to gain entry into your house. Taking the right precautions means that homeowners can rest easier, knowing their properties are protected.”
Lloyds Bank Home Insurance is offering homeowners top tips safe from burglary:
- Get back into the habit of locking your windows and doors at night, and if you go out.
- Make sure bushes, hedges and trees aren’t creating easy hiding places for burglars.
- Leave a light on in your home when you are out or have a light timer fitted.
- Think about installing exterior security lights at the front and back of your property.
- Leave the radio or the television on to give the impression that the house is occupied when you’re not at home.
- If possible, invest in a CCTV system. You can now also buy cameras that allow you to monitor your home remotely via your smart phone or tablet when you are out.