Twixt Lombard Street and Cornhill
This is the title of a colourful souvenir book created by staff at Lloyds Bank to celebrate the re-opening of the London head office in 1930. It traces the history of the building’s site, between Lombard Street and Cornhill, from ancient Britain to the 20th century.
The book was entirely written, illustrated and produced by Lloyds Bank staff. Completed in the style of an illuminated manuscript, it contains hand-drawn borders, ornamental letterheads and full-page illustrations.
About 20,000 copies were produced. Volumes were priced at ten shillings, but members of staff were allowed to pay half price. Each branch, as well as foreign agents, received one for display purposes.
King George VI himself was presented with a copy. A letter of thanks was sent from Balmoral Castle where the King expressed his admiration ‘of the beautiful and artistic manner in which this souvenir has been produced by the members of Staff at Lloyds Bank’.
Return to From the Collections to take a look at our other featured items.