The ‘twelve valuable young lives’ from Clerical Medical lost during the war are commemorated on a simple bronze tablet. Originally installed at the company’s head office in St James’s Square, London, it was relocated to new premises in Bristol in 1975.
At the outbreak of hostilities, Clerical Medical employed 80 staff at its head office and six branches. Forty-eight of these ‘served with the Colours’. Fourteen juniors, taken on as temporary clerks, also joined up as soon as they reached military age .
A complete roll of honour can be found in Our Centenary (published 1924) – please see our Further Reading page for details.
The Clerical Medical brand was phased out from 2009.
View the next item in this section, or return to the Our Memorials page.