Thirty men from the Halifax Permanent Building Society served in the war. Five lost their lives, including Norris Hallowell.
In December 1950, a bronze memorial was unveiled in the Society’s head office at Commercial Street. Manufactured by the Bromsgrove Guild of Applied Arts, it commemorates staff who died in both World Wars.
Those from the first conflict include three members of the Halifax Equitable Building Society, which merged with the Halifax in 1928 (see the Halifax history page for further information).
Two staff from the Leeds Permanent Building Society also died in the First World War. They are not recorded on this memorial (the Leeds only became part of the Halifax in 1995). Details are available from Group Archives.
A list of ‘members of building societies’ staffs’ serving in the forces was published regularly in the Building Societies Gazette between 1914 and 1918. For further information please contact us.