Last year, there was a 35% increase in Halifax Home Insurance claims for forced burglary in ‘darker months’ versus ‘lighter months’*.
The picture was similar in 2017, with a 9% increase in claims between October-December inclusive and March-May inclusive.
The clocks going back this weekend provides the ideal excuse for cosy nights in and revelling in the pleasure of JOMO (the ‘joy of missing out’).
However, darker evenings can also provide the perfect opportunity for burglars, with shady corners providing convenient hiding places.
The clocks going back should act as a timely reminder to protect our homes from burglars during the darker days.There are many advantages to shorter evenings and many people will happily swap summer parties and barbeques for quiet nights in front of the fire.However when the clocks change, we also see an increase in burglary using force.Following some of our simple tips is an easy way for homeowners to protect their properties during the darker days.
Tim Downes, Senior Claims Manager, Halifax Home Insurance
Halifax Bank Home Insurance is offering homeowners top tips to keep their homes safe as the clocks go back:
1. Make sure bushes, hedges and trees aren’t creating easy hiding places for burglars.
2. Leave a light on in your home when you are out or have a light timer fitted.
3. Think about installing exterior security lights at the front and back of your property.
4. Leave the radio or the television on to give the impression that the house is occupied.
5. If possible, invest in a CCTV system. You can now also buy cameras that allow you to monitor your home remotely via your smart phone or tablet.
6. It’s a good idea to invest in a burglar alarm. Not only do they keep your home safe, but also act as a deterrent to burglars, and could reduce your home insurance premium.
7. Having a gravel driveway can be a good deterrent to burglars as the sound will alert homeowners to an intruder.
8. With upcoming seasonal festivals such as Diwali and Hanukkah, households might have more expensive items in the home than normal. Make sure you have the right level of cover for these possessions.
*’Darker months’ are October-December inclusive. ‘Lighter months’ are March-May inclusive. Data based on in-house Halifax Home insurance claims data. 2018 figures:1346 claims between October-December inclusive, 1000 claims between March-May inclusive. 2017 figures: 1397 claims between October-December inclusive, 1279 claims between March-May inclusive
Halifax Home Insurance, Home Insurance Ultimate and Home Solutions are all underwritten by Lloyds Bank General Insurance Limited. Halifax Home Solutions and Home Insurance Ultimate have a 5 star Defaqto rating. The 24-hour emergency homeline is provided by Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc (RSA).
This report is prepared from information that we believe is collated with care, however, it is only intended to highlight issues and it is not intended to be comprehensive. We reserve the right to vary our methodology and to edit or discontinue/withdraw this, or any other report. Any use of this report for an individual's own or third party commercial purposes is done entirely at the risk of the person making such use and solely the responsibility of the person or persons making such reliance." © Bank of Scotland plc all rights reserved 2016.